Maxtor atlas 10k iv with AIC-7902 on FreeBSD

nihaopaul nihaopaul at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 01:13:00 PDT 2003

just like to start by saying thanks to everyone who helped out with the questions I had posted about these drives.

I picked up the phone yesterday after waiting 2 weeks for Maxtor.com to help support there drives and supply a working firmware revision, and gave Maxtor china a call, with my broken Chinese I managed to get across the problems with the drives, within 10 minutes I was speaking to a tech about the problems and he said they have a new firmware available BUT it wasn't tested with FreeBSD note revision: "DFV0" drive came with: "DFF0" and all Maxtor.com have is: "DFL0". so I had him send it over, upgraded the firmware and switched back to U320 mode, it booted and I was able to login, im running iozone up to 4gbs at the moment and the drives haven't hung or crashed so far, this is a HUGE improvement.

If anyone has a hard time finding revision "DFV0" for Maxtor atlas 10k IV drives just give me an email and I'd be happy to pass on.

special thanks to Justin.

Regards
Paul