SCSI, SMP, and Supermicro, problems!

David Raistrick drais at wow.atlasta.net
Wed Oct 8 08:33:41 PDT 2003

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, David Raistrick wrote:

> Supermicro SuperServer 6023P-8R with the X5DP8-G2 motherboard.

Folks,

Got my replacement motherboard this morning....initially the news was
good.  It booted with the memory that it was supposed to work with, and
then booted the smp kernel.

At this point the bios was configured entirely stock.

The machine booted, and ran, with no problems.  Hyperthreading was enabled
in the bios, but disabled in the kernel (no options    HTT).

The machine shows, and uses, 4 CPUs.

dmesg has AP CPU #1,2,3 Launched! messages.

I've got an mptable report at the bottom of this email.

I ran 4xburnP6 for a while and everything seemed stable.  I rebooted,
disabled HT in the bios, and attempted to boot again.

This time around we were back to the old failure:

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
ahd0: Dumping Card State at program address 0x10f Mode 0x33
Card was paused

...etc etc.

Now, I never tried /enabling/ hyperthreading in the bios on the old
board.  Perhaps there is a problem with this?

Help?  Since my application doesn't involve anything that will correctly
utilize hyperthreading, I'd prefer to keep it disabled.

thanks.

MPTable, version 2.0.15

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f6800
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xfe
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x0009f9a0
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            428
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0x1d
  OEM ID:                       ' '
  Product ID:                   'Kings Canyon'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  42
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        0
  extended table checksum:      0

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step
Flags
                 0       0x14    BSP, usable     15      2       5
0xbfebfbff
                 6       0x14    AP, usable      15      2       5
0xbfebfbff
                 1       0x14    AP, usable      15      2       5
0xbfebfbff
                 7       0x14    AP, usable      15      2       5
0xbfebfbff
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI
                 1       PCI
                 2       PCI
                 3       PCI
                 4       PCI
                 5       PCI
                 6       PCI
                 7       PCI
                 8       ISA
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x20    usable          0xfec00000
                 3       0x20    usable          0xfec80000
                 4       0x20    usable          0xfec80400
                 5       0x20    usable          0xfec81000
                 8       0x20    usable          0xfec81400
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID
PIN#
                ExtINT  active-hi        edge        8     0          2
0
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     1          2
1
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     0          2
2
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     3          2
3
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     4          2
4
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     5          2
5
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     6          2
6
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     7          2
7
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     8          2
8
                INT     active-hi        edge        8     9          2
9
                INT     active-lo       level        0  29:B          2
19
                INT     active-lo       level        0  29:A          2
16
                INT     active-hi        edge        8    12          2
12
                INT     active-hi        edge        8    13          2
13
                INT     active-hi        edge        8    14          2
14
                INT     active-hi        edge        8    15          2
15
                INT     active-lo       level        0  29:C          2
18
                INT     active-lo       level        3   2:A          3
4
                INT     active-lo       level        3   2:B          3
5
                INT     active-lo       level        6   2:A          5
4
                INT     active-lo       level        6   2:B          5
5
                INT     active-lo       level        7   1:A          2
16
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID
PIN#

---
david raistrick
drais at atlasta.net		http://www.expita.com/nomime.html