atapi cam

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Thu Aug 7 20:32:17 PDT 2003

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 jasondic at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>     I think the ATAPI TAPE driver converts all 6byte mode sense/mode select
> calls to 10 byte versions before executing them across the bus. This causes
> problems with my ATAPI STT8000 tape device which only supports the 6-byte
> versions. I also noticed that the man page for atapicam states that atapi
> doesn't support 6 byte mode sense/select cdb's-yet I have the SCSI spec to
> the STT8000 atapi device which clearly states that it only supports the
> 6-byte versions.
>
> Thoughts?

You've got a lot mixed up in there.  :)  I just checked atapi-tape.c and
it does indeed send only MODE SENSE and SELECT 10.  Since this has nothing
to do with SCSI nor ATAPI-CAM, please discuss this issue with sos at .  He is
author and maintainer of ATA and I've added him to the CC.

As far as the atapicam man page, I've cc'd Thomas Quinot who can address
whether atapicam handles the spec correctly in this area.

-Nate