ruby26-gems-3.0.6 installation

Velcro Leaf velcroleaf at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 2 00:55:15 UTC 2019

When installing the ruby26-gems-3.0.6 port on FreeBSD, starting from /usr/ports/devel/ruby-gems, a regular "make" worked just fine.  But a "make install" failed, due to a missing file.

As it turns out, I've had to do some stupid things with a server that ran out of filesystem space on /usr, so /usr/ports is actually a soft link to somewhere else on the machine.

The problem was that the file /usr/ports/devel/ruby-gems/work/stage/usr/local/bin/gem26 was not getting deposited properly, because it was sucking in the full canonical directory when locating it under the work directory.  The fix was to do this from the ruby-gems directory:

mv -i work/stage/[stupid location]/usr/local/bin/gem26 work/stage/usr/local/bin

After that, everything worked fine.  I know this is weird case, but I've never run into it before, so even if the current config is technically acceptable in general FreeBSD terms, it does seem to be doing something that other ports don't.  It breaks the "It Just Works" convention when updating via portupgrade and such, so it took a while to realize where the problem was.  Also while ruby-gems in uninstalled, portupgrade is gone, along with its associated tools, so it's a nontrivial error if you expect to just portupgrade -a and have a good day.

Anyway, thought you might like to know, and thanks for your contribution to the world of FreeBSD and generally making life better for nerds.

-Leif