Help needed: net/rubygem-grpc

Steve Wills steve at mouf.net
Thu Jun 29 16:11:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 06/28/2017 14:08, Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Thanks Steve,
>
> I already added it into our repository we work with:
> http://gitlab.toco-domains.de/FreeBSD/GitLab/commits/9.1
>
> I hope that is ok for you?
> My poudiere is just building and I think it will take the full night:
> https://pkg.fechner.net/index.html
>
> I will try to do some tests (at least give the build a try). As I do not have any experience with ruby, I do not really have an idea how to test it.

That's not going to work as is, see my previous message.

I have committed a port for boringssl and patched devel/grpc to use it
and updated the rubygem-grpc patch. See attached (as always, let me know
if it doesn't come through).

Note this will make boringssl a runtime dep of GitLab (via rubygem-grpc
via grpc). This lets rubygem-grpc pass it's tests, except for 1, which
seems like just a test which needs updating.

If you want to run the tests, copy these files/directories:

Gemfile
Rakefile
src/proto
src/ruby/.rubocop.yml
src/ruby/.rubocop_todo.yml

from the devel/grpc WRKSRC to the corresponding location in the
rubygem-grpc WRKSRC. Then install rubygem-bundler, run "bundle install"
and finally run "rake" to actually execute the tests and see results.
(Bundler will install a bunch of gems outside pkg, so you may want to do
this in a throwaway jail, such as in poudriere testport -i).

Vanilla, could you commit the devel/grpc parts of the attached patch, or
approve me committing it?

I think it's better to create a separate port for boringssl and use it
than to have both devel/grpc and net/rubygem-grpc bundle it. I know
boringssl isn't meant to be used this way, based on the docs. But I
think it's better to avoid bundling it, because bundling allows to
possibly use different versions in different ports and also means more
work to update it.

Also, the github mirror used for the currently bundling of boringssl in
devel/grpc (github.com/boringssl/boringssl) is an unofficial mirror that
seems to have died a while ago. This uses the
github.com/google/boringssl mirror which seems current and updating. So
if we are against this change to devel/grpc we should at least update
the bundled version of boringssl there to the newer repo and version.

Thanks,
Steve