Obsoleting Rails 3.x?

Thu Jan 21 08:10:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

while working on many ports i figured out there are a bunch of
dependencies to our Rails 3 port. But for many rubygems this is not
needed - they already work with Rails 4.2. Often this results in a port
based on Rails 3 and a slave port with Rails 4.2.
This will become even more bad because Rails 5 is already on its way.

Also when i'm understanding the release notices correct (i found them
quite confusing) they state:
- Rails 3.2 will only fix really bad security issues (while letting
"normal" security issues intact)
- you seem to get the fixes just if you pay

So i would announce, that we go through the gems and do a little
cleanup. If a gem will work with Rails 4.2 we should switch its
dependency to this version instead of Rails 3.

Your thoughts? Objections?

Greetings,
Torsten