[Gitlab] Current Status of the port

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 3 14:28:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 01:44:56PM +0200, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:
> Hello,
>

> You need explicitly enabling it in config/gitlab.yml.
>
> Gitlab needs the Gem installed, but for further use you need explicit
> configuration. Its commented out by default.

So it's required to run but not enabled by default? Sounds like it should go
into RUN_DEPENDS then.

> >> Is somebody against this approach? Otherwise i will try to get
> >> this ready today/tomorrow :)
> >
> > /holds hand up up/
> >

> > Personally, I like PostgreSQL much better than MySQL, but for the
> > port, I don't think we should force users to give up on their
> > MySQL/MariaDB installations just because. There are a lot of
> > FreeBSD+MySQL/MariaDB users out there.
>
> Thats the case why i originally added to option. But i changed my mind
> after reading this again and again:
>
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/doc/install/database_mysql.md
>
> This implies that the usage of MySQL will come with various problems,
> which won't be fixed.
>
> > Could you just make postgres the default one, so that the packages
> > are built with it and everything else needs extra work for those who
> > desparately want it?
>
> Yes. I removed this an hour ago for further tests. But of cause i can
> bring it back. Do you hold your hands still up? Then i will bring it back.

Let's go without the mysql option for now and we can bring it back later if
someone really wants it. Or if I'm understanding right, they could just go
ahead and install the gems needed and mysql themselves and make it work. So
we're not really preventing anything.

Steve