ports/184748: Upgrade of devel/rubygem-sprockets to 2.10.1 breaks www/rubygem-rails

Steve Wills swills at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 2 20:51:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 01:08:37PM +0100, Matthias Petermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> rubygem-rails is not working anymore with current ports tree. Beside
> the upgrade of rubygem-sprockets that breaks it, there is at least one
> more broken dependency: rubygem-tilt. The current version 2.0.0 is not
> compatible with rubegemy-rails 3.2.16. This breaks further
> applications based on rails, e.g. www/redmine (Web Based Project
> Management).
>
> I'm not a ruby/rails expert so maybe this question appears stupid, but
> does the ruby package manager (gem) support multiple gem versions at
> once?

Yes, it does, but not with the way we use it in ports.

> So would it be possible to have e.g. two different
> rubygem-tilt-versions at one and the same time?

Ports doesn't support installing multiple versions, but we can work around it
by creating a new port with the version in the name.

> Maybe it's worth the
> effort to maintain not just the latest version of rails and it's
> dependencies but always have a consistent "frozen" state where
> applications (like redmine) can rely on?

Yeah, what probably needs to be done is to just create a
devel/rubygem-sprockets22 port that rails can use.

I've assigned the PR to the person who updated sprockets, but if they don't get
to it I will try to do that soon myself.

Thanks for the report.

Steve