patching rubygems

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 29 13:50:08 UTC 2012

On Jul 28, 2012, at 10:08 PM, Stanislav Sedov <stas at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the patch!  I like the idea, though I'm not sure if it makes
> sense to unpack all the gems we build.  Won't it be better to unpack
> just those gems we have patches for, and use the old code path for
> gems that do not require patching?

Perhaps, but I think there's also some value in doing them all the same way if possible, for the sake of simplicity. Also, I'm not sure of an easy way to tell if a port has patches or not. I'd hate to have to add a variable to specify patching. Am I missing something existing that I can use for this?

> Also, I don't really like the "rm -rf $WRKDIR" line.  It looks scary.
> Is it necessary to delete it and create it again?  Besides, WRKDIR
> should probably be quoted, otherwise bad things might happen if it
> contains spaces (and probably all of the other variables too).

I wrote most of this a while ago and can't even remember why I had that in there. Taking it and the next line out seemed to have no ill effects.

Steve