procname when ruby is used

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 30 08:39:45 UTC 2012

On 08/29/2012 05:36 PM, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:06:45 -0400
> Steve Wills <swills at FreeBSD.org> mentioned:
>
>> On 08/29/12 21:38, Doug Barton wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure you actually want to use command_interpreter instead of
>>> procname. It should actually be very rare to use procname directly in an
>>> rc.d script.
>>
>> Got it, although that means picking the value at build time, but that
>> seems OK.
>>

> We actually already have a practice of doing that with RUBY_SHEBANG, so it
> seems reasonable.

GMTA. :)

I'm sensitive to the issue of this being build time reliant which means
that if the user upgrades their ruby version the rc.d script could
become outdated. I think that this could be ameliorated by forcing the
shebang line to be just /usr/local/bin/ruby, but I'm not sure how ruby
handles that.

One way we could improve the situation would be to support a glob
pattern for command_interpreter. Haven't thought through the
implications of that though.

Doug