Annoying ERROR: 'wlan0' is not a DHCP-enabled interface

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 6 22:17:22 UTC 2011

On 11/06/2011 03:02, Xin LI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that 226879 have introduced an error indication where if an
> interface is up and is not set to DHCP, the devd invoked
> /etc/rc.d/dhclient wlan0 call would generate an annoying message.
>
> I think this message is not necessary at all -- normally
> /etc/rc.d/dhclient is used by the system and it's just legitimate that
> a network interface comes up and have not assigned as DHCP.
>
> I'd like to propose the attached change, which turns this message into
> debug message but keep the exit intact.
>
> Comments?

What harm is the error message causing? It seems useful to me to know if
something is happening in the background that may need the
administrator's attention.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."