[RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Tue May 10 03:07:25 UTC 2011

Devin,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 06:53:43PM -0700, Devin Teske wrote:
> Jason,
>
> > rc.conf or rc.conf.local override. What do you think ? everyone else ? Doug ?
>
> I talked about this with our lead developers and we think we came up with
> something that has real significant potential.
>
> We suggest that your source the rc.cond.d/*.conf files:
>
> a. After /etc/rc.conf
> b. Before /etc/rc.conf.local
>
> Half our developers said that it would be nice if /etc/rc.conf.d/product.conf
> could override rc.conf(5) and the other half said it would be nice if it was the
> other way around. Then we thought about it for a moment, and we realized that if
> you sourced them in-between the two files, that you could accommodate both
> parties.
>
> In this setup, we'd have /etc/rc.conf be the initial override file that
> overrides /etc/defaults/rc.conf. Then /etc/rc.conf.d/product.conf would override
> that. And finally, /etc/rc.conf.local would be end-all-be-all of overrides.
> Nothing would be capable of overriding /etc/rc.conf.local (which seems to suit
> the name -- "local" should indicate that the "non-local" can be inherited from a
> master configuration, perhaps site-wide or pod-specific).
>
> What do you think? I think it would be the "happy median."

I am somewhat sketchy of putting it between the two. Reason being is I
know quite a few people that already place anything that has to do with
ports(7) into rc.conf.local just to keep it seperate from the systems
rc.conf.

I can see that raising a few eyebrows. As of right now its thought of that
rc.conf and rc.conf.local get processed consecutively and would have to be
explained quite rigorously how they actually fall in order. Only my
opinion though, its up for grabs.

1). If its sourced before then it can be considered user pre-defined
defaults.

2). If its sourced after then it becomes user defined overrides for
anything in rc.conf or rc.conf.local

3). If placed between then I feel it becomes an extension of rc.conf
leaving rc.conf.local to be the final say on all configs. This is
intentionally what rc.conf.local was meant for anyway.

Really I personally do not object to either of the three listed above and
can see a point of view from all three sides but if I was forced to vote
for one of them I would probably have to go with 3. User feedback for this
type of thing is greatly needed & appreciated.

--

 ( python -c "import this" )

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal