[RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 9 23:27:56 UTC 2011

On 05/09/2011 16:01, Devin Teske wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> First, let me say that we're on the same page,

We're not, actually.

> but I'd like to take a shot at a worthwhile use-case.
>
> Also, I know you were addressing jhell but I thought I'd chime-in because we
> (VICOR) feel that this feature would be very useful to us (envisioned use-case
> described below).
>
> Use Case:
>
> 1. One of many customers runs a site with, say, 35 servers and 89 workstations.
> 2. Each/every machine has a "role" which requires certain services to be enabled
> 3. Server "roles" enable NFS, SSH, FTP, as well as other services
> 4. Workstation "roles" have a wholly separate set of services (with some
> in-common)
> 5. Pedestals are yet another "role"
> 6. Machines can satisfy multiple roles
> 7. The roles are additive
> 8. There are separate roles for different products
>
> So if we need hardware-A to run products A and B in roles "A-Server" and
> "B-Server", we'd install "/etc/rc.conf.d/product-A-server.conf" and
> "/etc/rc.conf.d/product-B-server.conf".

You can already do this at least 2 different ways. The first is the
method I outlined in my previous post. The second would be to have
wrapper rc.d scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that start the required
services for either product; with or without correspondingly named
config files in /etc/rc.conf.d. (Personally I would set the right values
in the scripts themselves.)

So, there are at least 2 different ways that you can achieve the same
effect that already exist, and I strongly suspect that if I thought
about it long enough I could come up with a couple more. I'm still
willing to listen to a use case that can't be achieved without this
change, but to be honest I'm dubious.

Doug

			-- OK Go