[RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Mon May 9 19:04:49 UTC 2011

Gordon,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:32:18AM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Devin Teske <dteske at vicor.com> wrote:
> > The solution is to have a script that can tell you these two details:
> >
> > 1. What is the final value of ``*_enable''
> > 2. Which file assigns said final value
> >
> > If you have those two pieces of information, then unraveling a twisted
> > configuration is easier.
> >
> > [Re-]welcome my sysrc(8) script:
>
> While this is a very cool script, I have to wonder how far we have
> strayed if we require another tool to tell us how the system is
> configured. Surely we should be aiming for simplicity in our
> implementation and not something incredibly complex.
>
> After Jason's proposal, we would have the following list of configuration files:
>
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> /etc/rc.conf
> /etc/rc.conf.local

What seems to be lost here is that the below two are "optional" not
something that should be created by anything other than the user who needs
that functionality. Yes having two of the below is a problem. Yes {name}
needs to go. But until there is something to replace it in a way that is
agreed on we cant get rid of the broken {name} implement.

Hopefully noone is intending on breaking there system by creating
thousands of configs because that can be done easier by just spilling into
rc.conf ;)

This isnt a replacement and rc.conf.d isnt even available in the first
place unless end-user creates it. This wont replace rc.conf.