boot ordering and syslogd

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 24 15:51:08 PDT 2008

Sam Leffler wrote:
> But saying "it's not a problem that needs to be
> fixed" is utterly lame.

Since that's not what I intended to convey let me be less concise.

1. Changes to the current rc order need to have a very solid and well
thought out rationale which includes a detailed cost/benefit analysis
since historically it's been difficult to anticipate all of the
potential fallout from a change, and we don't want to violate POLA.

2. You are stating a problem case whose cost does not sound compelling
to me, both because I personally don't think "fixing" it would provide
much value, and because it would cause a significant change in the
current order which inevitably brings a great deal of cost (whether
those costs can eventually be ameliorated or not).

3. The burden is on the one requesting a change to demonstrate its
benefit. Saying "it's a problem and needs to be fixed" (not accompanied
by patches) could also be considered "lame." :)

4. My analysis of the potential costs and benefits might well be wrong,
which is why I'd like some other people to weigh in.

To summarize, I am not saying I don't think it's a problem. I'm saying
that we need more discussion to determine what the problem actually is,
what solutions are available, and at what cost.

Doug