New jail_interface broken in 6.1-RELEASE

Xin LI delphij at delphij.net
Thu May 11 11:41:47 PDT 2006

Hi,

在 2006-05-11四的 19:36 +0200,Dirk Engling写道:

> Dear rc-team,
>
> as you seem to already have noticed by revision 1.32 there were several
> embarrassing mistakes introduced in /etc/rc.d/jail via
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/rc.d/jail?rev=1.27&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> to implement a questionable feature[2]... merged from current just days
> before releasing FreeBSD-6.1.

Sigh, we found this too late :-(

> These have effectively killed my project[1], since jail_fstab is not
> being modified after the first jail started up, leading to missing base
> systems in all subsequent jails.

I am very sorry to hear that this has influenced the functionality of
your work.

> I hardly can express in words how this smashed my view of FreeBSD as a
> mature reliable operating system. I will have to wait 6 months until
> RELEASE users have a working project again or introduce some rather
> unsexy workaround. (_if_ RELEASE users should update their ports...)
>
> Yet, you have up to now not even managed to mention these mistakes in
> errata.

JFYI, I have drafted a errata patch for RELENG_6 which documents the
problem and a potential workaround for it and it is now under review and
we can get it on the website soon.

An errata candidate is currently under test and further refinement.
After we are sure that the problem were properly fixed, the release
engineering team is likely to publish an errata (would eventually done
against RELENG_6_1 so users using the errata branch would get it through
CVSup or freebsd-update) for this.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij delphij net>    http://www.delphij.net/