Use of rcorder for local rc.d/*.sh scripts

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jun 9 20:10:19 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:47:35PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> I've been following this discussion with interest, and I think that Brooks
> is right about not having a flag day. On the other hand, I have seen many
> people say that they want to get the ports rc.d scripts integrated into the
> main rcorder, since some of their software "needs" this functionality. This
> will become increasingly important as we move to modularize the base more
> and more (ala BIND and openssl).
>
> So, what about this for a compromise? We continue running localpkg to handle
> the 000.*.sh and such, with JR's hack to incorporate those better. But we
> ALSO build in the functionality to the main rcorder implementation to handle
> scripts that do not have *.sh, and we require port authors to include a
> special keyword in the script so that rc.subr will know that it is "safe" to
> handle them this way. Once the transition is "complete," we drop processing
> of the keyword, and the port authors can remove it at their leisure.

This sounds mostly workable.  The generation of the rcorder commandline
gets a bit more complicated because we'll need to make two passes
through /usr/local/etc/rc.d in rc, but that's probably acceptable.  I'm
a bit unhappy with doubling the size of code in /etc/rc to do this, but
I suppose it's probably worth it.

One thing to worry about is that this does actually require a flagday.
Currently, the RC_ORDER bsd.port.mk variable allows scripts to be
included in rcorder by installing them directly in /etc/rc.d.  Any thing
that used the new flag and moved back to /usr/local/etc/rc.d would stop
working on 5.x in this case.  I suppose we could modify the RC_ORDER
support to install the files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d on systems with the
rc changes.  That would require a couple of port build runs though.

-- Brooks