Use of rcorder for local rc.d/*.sh scripts

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jun 9 05:05:18 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:34:59PM -0400, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> On Jun 08, 16:38, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >
> > What I like about the localpkg hack is that it doesn't change much.  I
> > think you have solutions to most of my concerns though.  My gut feeling
> > is that full integration of /usr/local in rcorder is not feasible for
> > 6.0, but localpkg with rcorder should be.  Remember, feature freeze is
> > nominally Friday.  My suggestion would be to push for the localpkg hack
> > and the port changes it requires for 6.0 so ports can depend on
> > each other's services with the plan of doing full integration in 7.0.
> > That would get the most critical feature working now and give us over a
> > year to shake out any issues with full ordering.  After a good period of
> > settling, I think we could even MFC the localpkg hack to 5.x, probably in
> > time for 5.5.  If that, happened, I think we'd be able to fully mandate
> > rc.d style scripts for 7.0 because all supported versions of FreeBSD
> > would run rcorder on their scripts.
>
> I have yet another diff to localpkg, this one explicitly creates
> two lists, one for [^0-9]*.sh files and the other for [0-9]*.sh files.
> It then uses rcorder to sort the non-numeric-named ones, prepends
> the numeric-named ones and runs them.  This retains existing
> 000.foo.sh functionality and makes it, I believe, so that no port
> changes are needed!  It's below.

My one concern about this is that if we don't force a change it will
never happen.  The problem is that we need to keep the 000.* files
around until versions without rcorder in localpkg are not supported, but
if we don't force people to switch to correct rcorder declerations in
the files, it's going to be painful when the time comes to get rid of
this hack.

> OK, so what needs to be done next in terms of "push[ing] for the localpkg
> hack and the port changes it requires" before Friday?  To whom should
> I send this?

I'd float the concept on ports@ and make sure no one is too upset by
it.  I'd actually propose both this version and a total rcorder based
version.  Feel free to say I reviewed the concept.  Also, propose it
to re@ and cc me on that.  If they approve it, it can go in after the
freeze, the bar is just slightly higher.

In the patch, I'm actually of two minds about the script_name_sep
removal.  On one hand, it's somewhat unintuative, on the other hand, it
keeps the line lengths more sane.  Overall, I don't think it matters
much and I'm ok with the patch as is.

-- Brooks