rc.d cleanups

Bill Fenner fenner at research.att.com
Fri Jul 16 08:08:11 PDT 2004

Folks,

  A couple of years ago, I did some rc.d cleanups.  A summary is at
the top of http://people.freebsd.org/~fenner/rc.d.diff .  Unfortunately,
I did all the work right around the time of 5.1-RELEASE, so didn't want
to commit during the freeze, and never came back to it afterwards.

  I'd like to come back to it now; the exact rc.d.diff doesn't apply
but there are still lots of scripts that don't use the rc.subr
infrastructure properly (new ones, too).  Before I do a bunch of work
and let it fall by the wayside again, I'd like to get comments on
the various components of the changes, and whether people think it
makes sense to do this kind of cleanup (in particular, making sure
that scripts don't do anything that's not mediated by run_rc_command).

Thanks,
  Bill