Unexpected removal of packages (was: Upgrading packages (fail))

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Sep 29 06:30:37 UTC 2021

In message <8b710afa-3962-5319-f39f-f038096d65c4 at gmail.com>,
Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>      Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>>              abiword: 3.0.4_1
>>              gimp: 2.10.24,2
>>              gimp-app: 2.10.24,1
>>              gimp-gutenprint: 5.3.3_1
>>              libwmf: 0.2.12
>>              wv: 1.2.9_5
>

>Without seeing the scrollback in your terminal, it's hard to tell why.
>
>When you try to (re)install each one, is there any issue?

Well, apparently not.  Once I had done all of the other stuff, specifically
"pkg update" and then another pass of "pkg upgrade" I just did:

     pkg install abiword
     pkg install gimp

and that got all of the above reinstalled and nicely updated.  So I'm a
happy camper now, but I'm still totally perplexed as to why uname -a
is still showing my as running 12.2-RELEASE-p7 rather than 12.2-RELEASE-p10
and also I'm still totally perplexed as to why my firefox and postfix
didn't get properly reinstalled/upgraded when I previously did just
"pkg upgrade" (thus causing those two to fail).

Sometimes I think that the "new" pkg system still has some rough edges.

Regards,
rfg