what userid do you update system sources under?

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Sep 28 21:01:51 UTC 2021

On 9/28/21 7:10 AM, tech-lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When git updates your system sources, are you updating with a specific
> git user, or do you just use root, and if *automatically* refreshing your
> tree (like in a cronjob), again as git user or root? Or some other user?

for my development systems i have a git checkout named "freebsd", i then
create a sym-link from the checkout to /usr/src/.  this allows me to
update my source tree without elevated permissions, and for my uses is
perfectly acceptable (single user, development systems).  in a shared
environment you may want to have a "bot" account own the checkout, but
then ensure your users are all part of the group that the bot account is
part of.

when building i also make sure i own the approprite directory under
/usr/obj.  in my case it is /usr/obj/usr/home/pete/git/freebsd. this
allows me to build sources as my normal user, only needing elevated
privs for the installation steps.

-pete

--
Pete Wright