Exiting X: not so much....

J. Altman freebsd at chthonixia.net
Mon Sep 27 01:19:02 UTC 2021

Greetings, list members....

I run 12.2-release-p10 r370449 amd64 with an Nvidia Gforce 1050Ti.
On Sept.26, I updated to the newest Nvidia driver. Ports were also
updated on that day and more than once over the last month.

What follows is a description of the state of things for about
the last month.

Startx works; Windowmaker works; as do all programs. As indicated
in the Subject: line, exiting does not work.

I initiate an exit, and after about or not more than ten seconds, an
unusable black screen appears with a blinking cursor in the upper
left corner. The keyboard and mouse are unusable; no switching to
another tty and no ctrl-alt-delete.

The desktop can only be rebooted by a warm reset or a power down.

There is nothing relevant in Xorg.log: no errors nor warnings.

Nothing in dmesg except the expected improper disk unmounting warning
followed by fsck.

I don't have the first clue what could be wrong nor do I have any
idea how to begin troubleshooting. Given the paucity of information
I can offer, can any advice be given to me?

Thank you, and best regards,

J. Altman