auditdistd - audit trail file retntion

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Wed Sep 22 11:58:32 UTC 2021

JB via freebsd-questions wrote on 9/21/21 6:37 PM:
> [...]
newsyslog is a great tool and I've used it for wide range of tasks, not
just log files.

I use newsyslog when I can. My usual use cases include webserver logs.

The characteristics of the data helps to understand why I think
newsyslog is not feasible here.

auditdistd does its own rotation. The current log is:
20210920075929.not_terminated

The previous log is 20210920075923.20210920075929.

There are 457 log files for Sept 20:

$ sudo ls -l /var/audit/dist/ | grep -c ' Sep 20'
457

If I used a glob, it won't be a typical /var/audit/dist/*.log - it would
need to be * or something more complex.

Can newsyslog duplicate the above find? That is, removing only files
older than 7 days?

The when field may consist of an interval, a specific time, or both.

If an interval is specified, the log file will be trimmed if that many
hours have passed since the
last rotation. I can't see new syslog doing this.

Thank you.
--
Dan Langille
dan at langille.org