Boot time improvements [Was: Re: boot/shutdown times]

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Mon Oct 4 13:39:37 UTC 2021

On 12/09/2021 14:02, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 12/09/2021 14:00, Arthur Chance wrote:
>> On 12/09/2021 00:34, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> I haven't measured, but it seems like boot and shutdown times
>>> have improved over the years, but that they are still a lot slower
>>> than Linux.   Is there more that can be done to improve these
>>> times?   Thanks.
>>
>> I don't know about shutdown times, but Colin Percival has been doing a
>> lot of work on boot times lately. Take a look at his recent Twitter feed
>> (@cperciva), including entries like this
>>
>> https://twitter.com/cperciva/status/1435719945912868864
>>
>> and this
>>
>> https://twitter.com/cperciva/status/1436452578536013828
>>

> [Forgot to copy reply to questions@]
>
> and also
>
> https://twitter.com/cperciva/status/1434743398489935875
>
> https://twitter.com/cperciva/status/1435417195505278977

As a follow up to that, a tweet from Colin
(https://twitter.com/cperciva/status/1444910673893355525) a few hours
ago says

"Loader and kernel are around 2.7 seconds now.
There's a breakdown of that time on the wiki:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/BootTime"

That's on an AWS c5.xlarge instance which he's using as a standard. I'm
looking forward to seeing this work appearing in RELEASE in the future.

--
Nothing teaches one not to try to stamp out burning thermite quite
like real-life experience.