Upgrade without Internet access

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Mon Oct 4 07:42:42 UTC 2021

On 10/3/21 18:59, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> 	Interesting contrast that ;)
>
> 	I use packages and freebsd-update having started with source and
> ports back in the 1.1 days and gone through the coff/elf switch. The
> convenience and reliability of both of the binary approaches is a delight
> compared to some of the nightmares I've encountered over the years.

Yeah, I see that packages are quickly becoming more popular. I guess I
just love watching things build at my will.

I have noticed, though, that there seems to be some delays for binaries
to become available after release compared to ports. I'm not sure what
the release strategy is as I don't use packages, but I've spoken with
friends who are normally a week or two later for the same apps we both use.

> 	It can be done, you can download the packages to a local
> repository or use poudriere to maintain your own package repository custom
> built from ports with your favourite options.

Awesome!

Mark.