Intermittent failure to complete boot

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sun May 9 08:47:01 UTC 2021

I'm running 13.0-RELEASE on a desktop with a Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3
motherboard and an Intel I5-4460 processor. I have an intermittent
problem with the boot process stopping just after identifying the disk
drives. If the process had continued the next step would have been
autoloading ichsmb.ko. I have always been able to reboot successfully by
pressing the reset button after the problem.

This isn't unique to 13.0, I've seen the same problem with 12.2.

The problem only happens occasionally, I boot the PC every morning after
shutting down at night and it can be several weeks  between instances of
the problem.

--
Mike Clarke