how to hide dot files on ftp?

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Mon Mar 29 21:07:01 UTC 2021

> On 29 Mar 2021, at 13:13, Marwan Sultan <dead_line at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear FreeBSD family!
>
> im on FreeBSD 12.2-R
> i have noticed when i use ftp (the default ftpd freebsd build) - the .dot files are not hidden!

Is this new? I don't think this I new. I know I have certainly used FTP to upload new htaccess files back when FTP was a thing, oh some 20 years ago or so.

> i managed to hide those files on the webserver from apache conf file.

The default configuration of apache hides at least the ht files.

Files ".ht*">
    Require all denied
</Files>

I would not suggest you change that to ".*"

> but i cannot find away to hide it from any ftp users.

Seems like a bad idea to me, bit then again running ftp at all in 2021 seems like a bad idea to me.

> I donot want to install any ftp additional package and its no not FTP server.

Not sure what the means, but "I want to do <thing> but I don't want to do anything that is necessary to do <thing> is a bad opening position." It is quite possible the solution to what you want to do will require a different ftp server, so you refusing to consider that is not going to solve your problem.

> anyone kindly may advise where/how to hide the dot files from ftp user. (ftp user = real shell account)

Nope. I have never done this nor would I ever do this nor can I think of a scenario where I would want to do this, but I am probably missing something.

For example, if I don't want a user to much with some htacess settings, I put those in a directory above the one the user has access to.

--
Mind if I kiss the monkey? <smooch> Ptttfft! Hairball!