Move jails hard way to iocage

Jacques Foucry jacques+freebsd at foucry.net
Fri Mar 26 20:45:55 UTC 2021

Le vendredi 26 mars 2021 à 09:00:24 (-0400), Dan Langille à écrit:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 5:34 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 5:28 AM, Jacques Foucry wrote:
> > > Hello Friends,
> > >
> > > I run many jails, configured in the "hard way" (ie `/etc/jail.conf` file) and
> > > I would like to move them into iocage.
> > >
> > > I can't find any help on the Internet (may be I did search corretly).
> > >
> > > Did some own have a pointer or a how-to?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your time and advises,
> >
> > https://dan.langille.org/2021/02/28/converting-an-iocage-jail-to-a-vanilla-jail/
>

> Sorry, I misread, and though you were moving to jails.

No problem :-)

> This is from ezjail to iocage. Might help.
>
> https://dan.langille.org/2019/04/08/converting-thin-jails-to-thick-jails/

Sure it's help.

> Yes, I have been moving from iocage to vanilla jails. I find it better suits my use
> cases, specifically my FreshPorts jails which contain zfs file systems which it
> must occasionally issue a 'zfs rollback'. I also like that my jails start or stop
> faster. The additional work I need to do relates to jail creation (creating the
> file systems etc). For that, I'm using https://github.com/mkjail/mkjail - in fact,
> this morning I am using that to update several jails.
>
> e.g. [dvl at r720-02:~/src/mkjail/src] $ sudo bin/mkjail upgrade -v 12.2-RELEASE -j nginx01

Interesting, may be I will reconsider switching…

> After reading FreeBSD Mastery: Jails I saw how straight forward a jail.conf entry can
> be.  https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmjail

I read it, but there's no words about VNET and vanilla jails. Seems a little
bit more difficult and all the jails must be switch at the same time (as I saw
from my small experience).

But I read to that you are not very happy with VNET jails :-)

Btw, it's very hard to make my own opion with all the different experiences I
read. :-)

That said, and off topic, thanks for your blog, your shared experiences,
FreshPorts and all you do for the community.

--
Jacques Foucry