Partitioning 1T HDD

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 22 03:08:08 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:26:49AM -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:

> While on the subject of booting and partitioning etc, I've included below, 2 Dropbox links of images of my ASUS BIOS. Would you be in a position to explain to me what AHCI vs IDE is? As well, I see that I can enable/disable UEFI and PXE ROM. What is PXE ROM? Given that ASUS laptop will NEVER again have any microsoft products loaded/running on it, do I need UEFI enabled?

AHCI is the modern way of accessing SATA disks.  Not sure when it
came in, but certainly all my systems from the last 5 years have
used it.  And PXE ROM is for network booting.

No idea how old your laptop is, but for non-M$ the only reason for
enabling UEFI is probably to update the UEFI firmware - for *very*
recent ryzens the forthcoming AGESA fixes for usb issues on zen2 and
zen3 probably need UEFI to install it (and perhaps M$, depending on
the manufacturer).  For older systems, no obvious reason to use UEFI.

ĸen
--
  On average, the Panda feeds for 15 hours a day. This is the
same as an adult at home under quarantine, which is why we call