Adding /usr/src using freebsd-update

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Mar 21 03:07:06 UTC 2021

> On Mar 20, 2021, at 9:42 PM, Doug Denault <doug at safeport.com> wrote:
>
> My motivation for wanting to do this is basically because updating 11.3-->12.2 broke my Lenovo Ideapad. This is a "well known" and apparently has a workaround but I could not find a combination that worked following the very helpful suggestion out of the X11 mailing list or google. What did work was 13.0-RC2. Out of the box following UPDATING and pkg notes. Whatever the issue was it was obviously complex involving the interaction of several components in Xorg, FreeBSD and whether or nor EFI booting was used. All except the last one are perfectly obvious. I only mention this as background for why not use git or subversion (for a while anyway).
>
> The fix required that kernel sources be available. On the Lenovo that happened not to be a problem. On another laptop I did not have /usr/src so freebsd-update did not add/update it and I saw no option to add /usr/src. The conf file apparently says take care of it if it is there.

Did you try to use svn? Something in lines

svn co https://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.2 /usr/src

(confessing: I’m lazy guy, and about a week or so ago I still used svn, successfully).

> On my HP no /usr/src. I did a package add for git adding 32 required packages and the installed failed to deliver a working git command. So on to subversion with similar results. This with 12.2.
>
> As I had already updated to 12.2 and it was working I removed all packages, copied a 12.1 /usr/src from another server and did a fetch. This added in the files new to 12.2 and did report doing anything else, so I rather doubt this is a "good" version of the src tree.
>
> All of the above for my real question. since I had a number of 11.3 /usr/src trees, if I had just added that before doing an upgrade I think that will work. Correct?

I would just move existing /usr/src off the way (rename) and pull fresh new of the release you need (say, using svn command if git doesn’t work on that machine for whatever reason).

Valeri