Call to delay EOL of 11.x -> Re: OS to replace FreeBSD

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Mar 20 12:38:25 UTC 2021

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:30:15 +0100, Mohammad Noureldin stated:
>Hi,
>
>On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, 10:00 @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19 Mar 2021, at 10:10, freebsd at johnea.net wrote:
>> > To anyone who has read the bug report, this is clearly a serious
>> regression issue on certain USB (probably 3) host controller
>> hardware.
>>
>> I've read the bug report and all the replies and it is clearly a
>> flaw in the controller. It is providing an invalid ID.
>>

>If that's the case, I am curious how other Unix-Like Operating Systems
>manage to work on the same HW ?

There are a number of possibilities.

1) They have better programmers that can handle abnormalities.

2) They realize that there are always going to be flaws in software
and hardware and are smart enough to work around it.

This is of course assuming that the actual problem is a defective
controller that every other OS can handle correctly. If, and this is
assuming that is correct, then why doesn't FreeBSD just code what the
defective controller is allegedly sending and accept it?

The simple fact the the code worked in versions prior to 12.x makes
this excuse that the controlled is defective highly suspect.

--
Jerry