OS to replace FreeBSD

Weaver weaver at riseup.net
Fri Mar 19 23:06:13 UTC 2021

On 20-03-2021 08:30, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 4:32 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net>
> wrote:

>> I dislike this tone of voice. However, I agree that compiling the kernel
>> might be less effort, than migrating to another operating system. If you
>> would e.g. migrate to Arch Linux, you need to get used to systemd.
>> Getting used to systemd isn't pleasant. If you chose a Linux distro
>> that doesn't use systemd, you likely will experience all kinds of
>> trouble, if you want to customize your install.
>>

> I used that tone because it really is simple and if you can't/won't
> recompile the kernel before throwing the baby out despite with the bath
> water then you really don't have the skills/desire needed to use Unix
> effectively...  Just to show how trivial it really is
>
> 1. Edit /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC (or i386 instead of amd64 if your
> still using it) to comment out the xhci line (line 327 in 12.2-RELASE-pl3)
> to remove USB 3.0 support
> 2. cd /usr/src
> 3. make kernel
> 4. etcupdate
> 5. reboot
>
> Done.... how hard is that?

Who said it was hard?
I've been using Unix for over 20 years, and I wouldn't know how to
recompile a kernel and, at present, anyway, have no desire to know.
I use it for my business - technical writing and instructional design -
and, literally have no time to dig beneath the surface.
I've learnt one or two things along the way, and will probably learn
more as time goes on, but the direction your knowledge takes is as
variable as the individual and their needs and inclination.
Ralf has it spot on.
You're arrogant.
Cheers!

Harry

--
`The World is not dangerous because of those who do harm but
 because of those who look on without doing anything'.