Partitioning 1T HDD

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Fri Mar 19 21:16:05 UTC 2021

On 3/19/21 2:01 PM, Robert Huff wrote:

> "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter at pinyon.org> writes:
>
>>    $ gpart list | grep label
>>        label: gptboot0
>>        label: swap0
>>        label: zfs0
>>        label: ssd1
>>        label: m.2_ssd1
>
> 	On one system:
>
>     label: (null)
>     label: root
>     label: (null)
>     label: usr
>     label: (null)
>     label: data
>     label: backup
>     label: (null)
>     label: var
>     label: backup

You have to set the labels yourself using gpart(8).
Maybe this is how the installer configured them?  It's
certainly valid to have no label, which is what (null)
is.

I have to confess that when I ran away from systemd
about 7 years ago I had little to no interest in
gpart partition labels.  But in the last year or two
I finally groked the underlying idea and now I am pretty
careful to make them and keep them up-to-date.  I guess I
was default highly allergic to messing around with partition
tables, but gpart has been really smooth.

Warren Block's disk setup page helped me see the light:

http://wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

Russell