Partitioning 1T HDD

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Fri Mar 19 20:09:04 UTC 2021

On 3/19/21 12:47 PM, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 12:52:30 -0400
> Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:
>

>> Duke Normandin <sidney.reilley.ii at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>    Other than being GUI-based, is there any distinct advantage to
>>>    using GPT?
>>
>> 	Um ... I have used GPT for about 10 years.
>> 	Never have I used it with a GUI.
>
> I was refering to for example:
>
> gparted-common/buster,now 1.2.0-1.0antix1 all [installed,automatic]
>    GNOME partition editor -- common data
>
> Isn't GPT and acronym for gparted?

$ man gpart(8)

Here's another of my systems with their labels:

$ gpart list | grep label

    label: systemb0
    label: systems0
    label: systemd0
    label: systemb1
    label: systems1
    label: systemd1
    label: raidd4
    label: raidd3.1
    label: raidd1.1
    label: raidd5.1
    label: raidd2.1
    label: raidd0.1

I have a gpt zfs root mirror, and that pair is 'system', 'b'
is gptboot, 's' is swap, 'd' is data, '0' and '1' are the
drives.

Also I have a raidz2, d0-d5 are the disks, .n is the number
of times that drive slot been replaced (zero based).

I'd probably be even clearer in the labels in the future,
but you get the idea.

Cheers,
Russell