Disappearing files in FreeBSD 13.0-R2

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 23:03:44 UTC 2021

I did a fresh install using ZFS with encryption. I copied the files on a
second drive (UFS) to /usr/home/backup (ZFS). I reformatted the second
drive ZFS and created a new pool "home" for that drive. It decided to mount
the drive as /home. AFAIK i never told the system to do that. But /home and
/usr/home are different, there is no link.

I can only see /usr/home/backup if i boot into single user mode. If i mount
read write or boot normally then /usr/home is empty.

I copied the files to a usb drive.

How do i delete the backup? Its taking up 100 gb. I can see them read only
and copy to usb drive, but as soon as i mount read write they disappear. I
did not import the home pool, it does not show up in the status command.

Waitman