Ports git and Xorg -- is help on the way

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Sun Mar 7 23:23:51 UTC 2021

A recent thread leads to this URL:
https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs#readme. Which has in it

    The ports repository

    The ports repository has all the files we use to generate our
    packages. It's structure is currently being debated.

I hope this change would allow earlier versions of the ports tree to be
available. I recently tried to update a laptop from 11.3 --> 12.2
completely rendering this system unusable. I know caveat emptor is the name
of the ports game and I know how to protect against this in the future
using Poudriere. Since 9.x updating has lulled me into just thinking things
would work.

Xorg is the poster project for this, but there are other reasons for the
need to install a port/package on an older system.

I would hope that the discussions on the structure of the ports repository
would include be ability to either get a package or at least to build a
port from at least the previous version of FreeBSD.