sed -i empty argument compatibility issue

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sat Mar 6 15:40:25 UTC 2021

On 3/5/21 10:42 PM, Kyle Evans wrote:

> Is this used only at build-time, or at runtime? The former can just
> pull in gsed as a BUILD_DEPENDS and use a BINARY_ALIAS to stash it
> first. Autoconfig takes some more work;
> ac_cv_path_SED=${LOCALBASE}/bin/gsed instead, maybe. At runtime, your
> best option is to patch the script to use gsed and slap a RUN_DEPENDS
> on that bad boy.

It's a build-time only issue, but I'm trying to come up with a solution
that "just works" on both the linux end and the fbsd end, so porting
doesn't involve any patch files.  A BUILD_DEPENDS and BINARY_ALIAS would
work, thanks.  I see that now in the porter's hb, 5.17.  That may be a
better solution, as it would deal with any future instances of non-standard
usage, although convincing the linux and windoze folks to use only
standard features would be a good thing.

Thanks,

Gary