Panic after updating from source

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Mon Mar 1 04:12:47 UTC 2021

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 3:52 PM Garance A Drosehn <gad at freebsd.org> wrote:

> make buildworld && make kernel && make installworld && reboot
>
> that always works for me when following a -STABLE branch.
>
> It may happen to work for you many times in a row, until the day
> it does not work and then you're screwed. The official instructions
> state that you should always reboot into single-user mode before
> doing 'make installworld'.

It's not possible to boot into single-user if you're building from
source and installing in EC2, for example.  The steps above are
guaranteed to work under the conditions described – tracking a release
under -STABLE with git.   Well, guaranteed to work with a nohup or

# cd /usr/src
# ( make buildworld && make kernel && make installworld && reboot ) >&
make.out &

Whereas booting in multiuser with a new kernel and old userland can
cause some difficulties – though the install chain should still work.

I've only been building from source since 1.0 ;-). And in AWS since
before instance types supported HVM.  Now, if you're trying to to a
major release upgrade – I haven't tried with the above approach, but
booting to single user is still not an option in EC2.

– M

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is
no wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five

- The Mahābhārata