Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 00:19:24 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 3:11 PM RW via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:45:29 +0200
> Stefan Esser wrote:
>

> > The only drawback compared to a modern card is raw performance (but
> > the 7750 is already faster than today's typical on-chip VGAs) and
> > lack of HW decoding of modern video codecs like VP9.
>
> I wonder if hardware decoding is actually important on desktop
> processors. I'm using integrated Intel HD 2500 graphics from
> 8 years ago with the i915 driver and, AFAIK, I'm seeing 3d
> acceleration, but not getting hardware decoding for video.
>
> 1080p x264 decoding in software is using only about 28% of a core with
> vlc, 4k video on a 1080p display is about 180%. This is on an 8 year
> old, bottom of the range, quad core, sandy bridge i5 cpu.

On an 8 year old i915, I'm guessing Ivy Bridge, you should get video
acceleration with libva-intel-driver. You may also want
libva-intel-hybrid-driver. It should, at very least, work though it may not
help. The media-driver requires a newer GPU. Braodwell or newer, though. On
my 10 year old Sandy Bridge system the CPU utilization for playing an H.264
encoded video dropped CPU from 60% to about 10%. I could even play video
with a compile running as long as the compile was niced.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com