Keymapping erased when disconnecting/connecting keyboard

Kristofer gundoghusse at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:18:11 UTC 2021

First, thanks to those that replied to my previous issue with NVIDIA, I had forgotten to subscribe and could not reply properly. But as soon as I installed the port, I got X11 to work. I must have been reading off some really old version of the handbook by accident.

I have another issue that I have not seen before FreeBSD 13.0. I frequently unplug the keyboard to use on another machine and I have been doing this for many years on older FreeBSD installations without any issues. Now with 13.0, every time I plug in the keyboard again, I have US keymap and it ignores the setting I have in /etc/rc.conf. locale is also unmodified, as epxected. The kaymap is correctly set to Swedish keymap when I log in, but as soon as I remove/re-add the keyboard, it is lost.
On top of that, I haven't been able to figure out how to get get the keymap back without rebooting the machine. There has got to be some simple thing I'm missing here.
For reference, the keyboard in question is identified this way in /var/log/messages in case that makes any difference to how I should solve it

kernel: ukbd0: <Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint, class 0/0, rev 2.00/3.30, addr 4> on usbus3

TIA,
Kristofer