Kernel panics with ancient AMD-based graphics (was: video Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?)

Serpent7776 serpent7776 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 10:24:51 UTC 2021

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 20:27:41 -0700
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In message <33d89cc2-e204-d96d-682c-75d030acf02b at gmail.com>, you wrote:
>
> On 25/06/2021 20:28, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> > ? FreeBSD these days no longer fully supports my admittedly
> > ancient AMD-based video card... and as a result, I sometimes
> > get kernel crashes (althought not too frequently). ?
> What's the card?
>

> Not sure exactly.  It's something with an AMD HD5450 on it.
>
> Why?  can you make my kernel stop crashing?
>
> If so, please do.
I had Radeon HD 5450 on my machine and it started to crash my system at random
moments after upgrade to 12-RELEASE. It was hardware acceleration that caused
this. When I disabled it with

Section "Extensions"
        Option "GLX" "Disable"
EndSection

in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/disable-gpu.conf

it was working fine.

I replaced the video card with GeForce GT 710 and I'm using x11/nvidia-driver,
and it's working fine with hardware acceleration.
--
/*
 * Serpent7776