Why doesn't cc -ansi disable conflicting type for getline from stdio.h?

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Jun 16 13:36:25 UTC 2021

On 16/06/2021 07:18, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <4018acc9-2607-67ed-0327-8a3c9bc647b8 at panix.com>,
> Kurt Hackenberg <kh at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> The boundary between C and Unix has always been blurred a little in
>> practice. It's good to keep the boundary clear in your mind...
>
> But but but...that's no longer necessary now that EVERYTHING is UNIX,
> right?  So if you have a C compiler, and it isn't cross targeting for
> some embedded sysetem, then you likely have all of the UNIX primitives
> and all of the standard UNIX anmd POSIX C libraries at your disposal.

Technically the C standard allows for hosted C environments on any
operating system, so there may be a C17 implementation running on an
emulation of Multics somewhere.

> Didn't a read a few years ago that Windoze had basically absorbed all of
> UNIX and that it now provides al of the same stuff, via libraries?
>
> Or maybe I misunderstood.
>
> It certainly seemed consistant with Microsoft's well publicised "embrace,
> extend, and destroy" philosophy at the time I read that.

You're thinking of WSL (Windows System for Linux). With the release of
WSL 2 you've got Linux compatibiity (and it's sometimes faster than
native Windows code).

--
Lebowskisort, aka dudesort, an O(1) sorting algorithm:

"Man, the array is cool as it is. Let's go bowling."