Updating /usr/ports

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:25:55 UTC 2021

On Mon, 31 May 2021 16:59:00 -0700
Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 3:21 PM RW via freebsd-questions <
> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> wrote:

> > I was just reading the man page for pkg-version; by default the
> > order it tries is INDEX, ports tree, package repository.
> >
> > This seems strange to me as I would have expected it to default to
> > the repository.
> >
> Using repo is probably not a good way to go as people
> maintaining a local ports tree are likely to build ports where the
> repo could be days behind the tree.

Having a ports tree doesn't necessarily mean that that you build
mainly from ports.  I keep it around for information, and to build one
port with patches. More importantly, a new user might install the tree
out of curiosity, but use the repository.

IMO the natural assumption is that a package tool compares versions
with the repository, not that it changes its default based on a guess
about what you are trying to do.