What the hell starts pulseaudio?!

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 16:12:56 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 1:20 PM Roderick <hruodr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I boot, pulseaudio daemon does not run.
>
> I do xinit that starts twm and xterm, pulseaudio daemon does not run.
>
> I start firefox, pulseaudio daemon does not run.
>
> I seer a video with firefox, pulseaudio daemon does not run.
>
> I browse a littler on text sites, pulseaudio starts.
>
> Pulse audio was installed as dependency of chrome. I did not start chrome.
>
> Please, see here:
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/after-upgrading-no-more-audio-in-firefox.81307/
>
> I find this behaviour ugly!

You can use pacmd(1) to inspect pulseaudio's clients:

>>> list-clients
3 client(s) logged in.
    index: 0
        driver: <module-console-kit.c>
        owner module: 14
        properties:
                application.name = "ConsoleKit Session
/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1"
                console-kit.session = "/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1"
    index: 1
        driver: <protocol-native.c>
        owner module: 9
        properties:
                application.name = "Firefox"
                native-protocol.peer = "UNIX socket client"
                native-protocol.version = "34"
                application.process.id = "1582"
                application.process.user = "XXXX"
                application.process.host = "XXXXr"
                application.process.binary = "firefox"
                application.language = "C.UTF-8"
                window.x11.display = "unix:0.0"
                application.process.machine_id = "XXXXXXX"
    index: 2
        driver: <cli.c> <---- Note, this is pacmd(1) itself.
        owner module: 19
        properties: