FreeBSD

ezekiel motta ezekielmotta017 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:31:46 UTC 2021

I agree, Alejandro. They do contribute to the community. The remora keeps
the shark clean of aquatic bugs
and is a pleasant companion. LOL
It is a symbiosis in an ecosystem. Even Leopards give back to the community.
Only some/many humans are the exception to this rule.
I am going to use NomadBSD on hard metal.
Maybe I should not have used the word parasitical.
The very fact that they make DE's for FreeBSD is a great contribution.
Had they not made the contribution, I would not use FreeBSD.
I really did not mean to offend anybody.
As I said, my pref is purely technical.

This is an interesting case that shows how copyright actually distorts
matters.
Imagine I create a DE for FreeBSD and call it AlphaX
On distrowatch it would say: AlphaX is based on FreeBSD despite the fact
that AlphaX's code would be 97% FreeBSD and 3% my code.
In reality, my DE would be an addition to FreeBSD. A meagre, minimal,
addition.
Hence, saying AlphaX is based on FreeBSD does not quite capture it.
It should be called FreeBSD/AlphaX DE
However, since I can not use the name FreeBSD (for legal reasons) I can not
be honest.
I would have to call it AlphaX and say that it is based on FreeBSD when, in
reality, it is
FreeBSD with my meagre addition.

Imagine I take a Peugeot 205 rally car, change the inside, change the
instrumentation and call it ZeeMobile.
See what I am getting at?

Well, apologies for the use of the word parasitical.

I am just someone who is interested in technology.
Greetings everyone,
Kind regards and thanks to the FreeBSD Foundation.
I really like the manner in which the Foundation combines two venerable
principles: democracy and aristocracy.