Claws Mail (was: What the hell starts pulseaudio?!)

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Sun Jul 18 18:20:09 UTC 2021

On Sun, 2021-07-18 at 17:07 +0000, Roderick wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

Note, I forwarded this quote from Paul, a Claws developer...

> > I'm not understanding what this "CLIENT ID" is that you are talking
> > about, if it is not OAuth2. But OAuth2 is not automatic in claws-mail,
> > and it is not (currently?) necessary for connecting to gmail servers.
>
> There is some pressure from google. One must continuously enable
> "less secure apps", otherwise OAuth2 is the only alternative.

...and the Claws developer knows all this, but there's a lot of
confusion by users.

The reason that I described how it works for Yahoo is, to explain users
(not the developer), that the passwords by the well known Claws settings
get replaced by passwords, that were generated by the Yahoo
Webinterface. Nothing does change when using Claws, just the password is
generated by Yahoo. There is nothing "two" things whatsoever. It's all
the same password usage as before, just that Yahoo generates the
password for each external mail client accessing a Yahoo account, as
described by
https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/learn-generate-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html
. Old passwords don't work anymore, there was the need to replace the
old passwords, by those new generated passwords. For Google it's
probably the same.