What the hell starts pulseaudio?!

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Tue Jul 13 13:53:54 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 1:42 PM Roderick wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2021, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> > What Window Manager do you use? Maybe this guy.. or its audio mixer? :-)
> It is written in my original mail.

Sorry, TWM does not start it, its the Firefox, or any other
application linked against libpulse* will spawn local user service
with stream/dgram socket communication (not TCP!) :-)

sockstat | grep pulse
XXX       pulseaudio 99706 5  stream /home/XXX/.xdg/pulse/native
XXX       pulseaudio 99706 8  stream -> /tmp/dbus-URrI0C27hY
XXX       pulseaudio 99706 9  stream /home/XXX/.xdg/pulse/native
XXX       pulseaudio 99706 11 dgram  -> /var/run/log
XXX       pulseaudio 99706 41 stream -> /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
XXX       enlightenm 98712 73 stream -> /home/XXX/.xdg/pulse/native

At first I though htop and ps auxd could show process tree with
parent, but in my case there was no parent, what seems reasonable
because it should work even after its spawning process terminates.

Then I found this. Looks like exactly your question and the answer:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/204522/how-does-pulseaudio-start

Personally I like PulseAudio. It gives you lots of felxibility and
control over audio per application on the fly.

If you do not like it you may want to try remove / lock the package
and/or put a link to /use/bin/true in place of the binary?