Analyzing Log files of very large size

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Jul 11 19:31:34 UTC 2021

On 7/11/21 7:38 AM, Vlad Markov wrote:
 > I used to use split to break up large log files into manageable
pieces. From there it depends on how you work. At first we used grep
then we moved on to using perl regex to analyze logs.

If this is personal project, I could see doing it in Perl.  But, this
sounds like the kind of problem that would benefit from concurrent
and/or distributed programming; and Perl was not designed for such.  So,
you will have to work harder if you want those features.

But if this project is for an employer or client, I would recommend
starting with the commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) log analysis tool made
by the hardware vendor.  Train up on it.  Buy a support contract:

https://www.sonicwall.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/sonicwall-analyzer.pdf

David