Xorg crashes several times a day

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Tue Jan 26 08:50:25 UTC 2021

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I've tried using /boot/modules/i915kms.ko from
> the package graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod instead of the bundled
> /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko - but it is even worse: the X graphics screem
> freezes very soon after startx, maybe a minute or two.

Now that I stopped using the kernel module /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko and
recompiled graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod from ports to use its
/boot/modules/i915kms.ko, I have not seen a single coredump of Xorg yet.

Thanks to all who have advised to recompile the
graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod port for my system.

I still fail to understand why /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko is there at all
as part of the GENERIC kernel if it does not work.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/