Xorg crashes several times a day

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sun Jan 24 19:09:14 UTC 2021

On 24.01.2021 19:11, Polytropon wrote:
> Won't that leave X in VESA mode? Any halfway modern desktop
> environment or Linux-derived window manager will be slow and
> useless this way, not to start about using Firefox or LibreOffice
> or playing video... that's why it's recommended you also know
> what graphics card you have _and_ install the xf86-video-<blah>
> package that contains the appropriate driver. While VESA should
> always work as a "lowest level solution", it will probably cause
> problems for running or at least using actual programs.

The question was about that fallback solution. I worked many many years
on VESA driver and now I work on SCFB. At least its stable and it works.

With xf86-video-intel I had serious issues on my laptop. So I switched
to drm-kmod-fbsd and X11 modesetting because I need multi-monitor setup
that is not available with scfb.

The amdgpu crashes my desktop workstation so I switched back to scfb.
OpenCL does not work yet so I usually connect over SSH.

> In most cases, just starting X without a configuration file
> will do the right thing, given the required parts are present.
> Only older hardware might need manual intervention.

Not with the scfb on my desktop. I had to create and modify the
xorg.conf as described :-)

I do not complain. I just want to focus on my work. In case of problems
I switch to a mobile phone or macbookpro just to get the job done in 5
minutes that I usually have. In my free time I try to (sup)port the new
stuff. I want to use it I should also add my brick to make it work :-)

--
CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, https://www.tomek.cedro.info